The aim of the research project “GuBiP” is to develop recommendations for the practical design of vocational training processes in sheltered workshops for people with disabilities. These include a repertoire of vocational training methods orientated to the practice of sheltered workshops. This repertoire is structured by a didactic framework model, finished in a special educational way and systematized. In Germany sheltered workshops employ about 320,000 adults with disabilities, 30,000 of whom are in the field of vocational training, 270,000 have a job in the workshop and 20,000 get a special training offer in the promotion sector. In addition, there are approx. 70,000 professionals designing and supporting these fields professionally.
According to the key finding of the previous project “EVABI” (cf. Kranert, Stein & Riedl 2021) professionals have a central and throughout Germany standardized instrument for planning vocational training at their disposal based on the harmonized educational framework plans (hBRP). This instrument is geared towards a heterogeneous target group and can ensure a transparent supraregional coordinated training process. However, at the same time a central need for action and development was identified: The support of professionals with respect to “translation” of educational contents into concrete teaching-learning-situations, i. e. concerning the didactic-methodological design in educational practice.
The GuBiP project precisely follows this desire. During a continuous exchange between theory and practice, needs and possible starting points will be recorded gradually and along milestones. Development potentials will be identified, approaches for action practically will be tested in model sheltered workshops and their implementation will be accompanied. Different survey instruments are used in the sense of a mixed-method-design and a formative evaluation, which involve particularly voices from the practice in qualitative and quantitative terms in addition to the state of research.
The research project GuBiP aims to three main objectives:
- Maintaining a systematic survey of the methodological concepts of vocational training (including impulses outside the sheltered workshops) and identifying potential for further development for sheltered workshops.
- Development of a scientifically based didactic frame model for vocational training processes in sheltered workshops.
- Derivation of recommendations for action and implementation strategies concerning the didactic-methodical design of vocational training in sheltered workshops based on hBRP, including clarifying by examples of implementation
At the end of the two-year project the following findings will be available:
- A handbook for the methodological-didactical design of vocational training processes in sheltered workshops – this includes recommendations for action in the form of a didactic framework model, a collection of methods for the practice in sheltered workshops as well as a strategy for implementation in the sheltered workshops.
- Additional examples of implementation of methodological approaches in vocational training in sheltered workshops (good-practice)
- a scientifical final report
Term: 01/2022 until 12/2023
Federal Ministry of Education and Research (German abbr.: BMBF)
German Federal Association of Sheltered Workshops (German abbr.: BAG WfbM)
Prof. Dr. Roland Stein, project manager
Hans-Walter Kranert, Academic Council, deputy project manager
Philipp Hascher, academic staff
Lena Kampmann, student assistant
Faculty of Human Sciences
Institute for Special Education
Chair of Special Education V
phone: +49 (0)931 / 31-87673